Outgoing 8th Grade Families
Every 8th grade student will need to register this year for high school. You do not automatically get signed up for high school. Every year there are students who wait and wait and wait to register for high school (sometimes even into the summer after they graduate from Bayside), but this is a bad idea! Why? Because the longer you wait, the less likely it is that you’ll get to go to the school of your choice and the less likely it is that you’ll get into the classes you want because they’ll all be full. Don’t wait! Register as soon as you can!
Here is how your parent/guardian will register for high school:
- Starting on November 9th, families can start making online appointments to register their child for high school by going to the website: https://www.smuhsd.org/Page/5527 (you can click the button at the top of the page to translate the page into your preferred language).
- In preparation to fill out this form, make sure you have the following documents listed on this website: https://www.smuhsd.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=2311 . You’ll want to take pictures of the documents you’ll be using so that you can upload them onto the registration page.
- Fill out the online registration form. Note that when you select your current school, we are listed as “BAYSIDE STEM.”
- As you go through the form, please mark if your child has an IEP (Individualized-Educational-Plan; has an SDC class with Mr. Souza or Mr. Jarvi; has a Guided Studies class with Mr. Hjalmarson).
- Upload the pictures of your documents.
- On the last step of the process, you will select your appointment date to finalize the registration process.
- Please ensure you finish registration during what is called the Priority 1 Window (December 1 - February 12), especially if you are planning on asking to transfer from the school you are assigned by your address to a different school.
Tuesday, October 6th at 7pm - We will host a family education night on Zoom: Everything You Need To Know About High School. We’ll discuss the registration process and will have former Bayside students who now attend Aragon, San Mateo, Hillsdale, Serra, and Design Tech High Schools on the call to speak with you about their experiences at various local high schools
Join by Zoom on October 6th
Meeting ID: 978 2020 5590, Passcode: 597783
Join by phone: 1-669-900-9128, meeting #97820205590
Early October - each high school will host a live webinar to provide incoming 9th grade families with all the information they need. Check for updates and links on each high school’s website:
- Aragon - https://www.smuhsd.org/aragonhigh
- San Mateo - https://www.smuhsd.org/sanmateohigh
- Hillsdale - https://www.smuhsd.org/hillsdalehigh
October 26th - the recordings of the early October webinars will be released, in case you missed it
November 9th - families can start registering their children for high school
December 1st - February 12th - this is what is called the Priority 1 Registration Window, meaning that we STRONGLY recommend you complete your high school registration during this time period, especially if you want a transfer from your home school to a different high school
February 18th - the high school district will have their lottery, which is where they will look through the students who requested transfers and, based on who finished registration and other data, will decide which high schools people are assigned to
March 2021 - each high school will come to Bayside (either virtually or in person) to answer students’ questions, tell students important information, and start the process of getting students enrolled in high school classes for next year. This is a student-only event, no parents/family members
Mid-August 2021 - first day of high school!